SRDS.com direct marketing database updates through July 2015
The 2015 MARS Consumer Health Study shows us that drug stores live up to their name with nearly half of the 170 million Rx purchasers buying medication, whether Rx or OTC, at chain retail stores. Perhaps because of the convenience of one-stop shopping, almost 40% have made similar purchases at their local supermarket, a mass merchandiser, or club store. Those opting to skip the store entirely purchase medication through their insurance mail order pharmacies (18%) or online (10%). Types of online sites can vary from online pharmacies (in and outside of the U.S) and websites of drug store chains, to mass merchandiser or club store (e.g. Sam’s Club, Costco) websites.
Who are the Rx purchasers buying medication at chain retail stores or through their insurance mail order pharmacies?
Rx purchasers buying medication at Chain retail stores
Rx purchasers buying medication thru their insurance mail order pharmacies
- 46% are age 35-59
- 65% work full or part-time
- 56% are married
- 1 in 3 are parents to a child under age 18
- 70% are normal weight or overweight
- 72% exercised at least once in the last 7 days
- Are more likely to attend professional/college sports events, adult education courses, play soccer
- 59% are age 60 or older
- 49% are retired
- 58% are married
- Most do not have a child under age 18
- 3 in 4 are overweight or obese
- 84% are currently managing their diet or nutrition
- Are more likely to volunteer their time, travel, read books
The 2015 MARS Consumer Health Study is the only dedicated, syndicated research in the healthcare industry that ties ailments, pharma brands, attitudes about healthcare and many other data points to consumers’ media consumption habits.
For more information about accessing full study results, contact us here.