Football, drinks and bars: Kantar Media and LaLiga awarded the most innovative presentation at AEDEMO TV 2017
Eduard Nafría, Commercial Director at Kantar Media has delivered a presentation in collaboration with Javier Baena, Broadcast Area Director at LaLiga, at one of Europe’s key TV industry conferences, AEDEMO TV Industry Seminar.
The paper, titled Fútbol, copas y bares (Football, drinks and bars), was presented to 400 attendees earlier this month, and delivered the results of a study aimed at establishing the out-of-home (OOH) viewing figures for LaLiga Santander football matches. The audience voted this presentation the most innovative paper out of the 14 delivered by different experts within the TV industry in Spain.
About the study
For the 2016 / 2017 football season, LaLiga, the top professional association football division of the Spanish football league system, implemented a strategy aimed at increasing brand awareness of its football competitions.
To do so, LaLiga appointed Kantar Media and Kantar TNS to measure and estimate TV viewing figures for different LaLiga football matches consumed out-of-home.
The study initially measured individuals over 16 years old through 2,000 interviews held over two weeks, at which point it was possible to accumulate the results of the OOH viewing ratings which were delivered in the presentation.
At the end of the football season over 38,000 interviews will have been conducted, giving a wide sample in order to estimate the results with robust statistics.
Kantar TNS carried out CATI (Computer Assisted Telephone Interviewing), 20% to mobile phones and the remaining 80% to landline phones, so that a geographical distribution proportional to the distribution of the Spanish population was attained (Autonomous Region and population size).
The selection of the individuals was made through quotas of gender and age, representative at a national level of the Spanish population in order to have a balanced survey universe.
The survey has two different sections: the first looking at sociodemographic data which is collected for all interviews; and the second specifically about football, which responds to those who claim to have seen some football matches out-of-home.
Conclusions from the study
• The viewing figures calculated for football matches consumed in public places meant an increase of 39.2% of the total of the audience, which it’s more than a third part of the total consumption.
• The profile of the viewer who consumes football out-of-home is a good commercial target.
• LaLiga intends to continue and expand the study to improve the measurement tool.
The 33rd edition of AEDEMO took place on 8th, 9th and 10th of February in León. The programme covered a variety of topics relating to the TV industry, including: audience measurement, big data, and advertising of audiovisual content in multi-screen or business intelligence, among others.
Kantar Media were proud to support AEDEMO this year by sponsoring the Welcome Show, providing some entertainment to the delegates before the presentations commenced.