5 facts for marketers about adults with hypertension
More than 38 million U.S. adults say that they have hypertension/high blood pressure, according to
Kantar Media’s 2013 MARS OTC/DTC Study
. Nine of 10 of adults with hypertension say they have been professionally diagnosed and 83% say they are treating the condition.
Here are a few more data points on these adults pulled from the study.
- Adults with hypertension are 42% more likely than all adults to say that they had a physical within the last 6 months. They're also 30% more likely to say that getting a regular medical check-up is extremely important. Further, they are 44% more likely to rate their relationship with their primary care physician as excellent.
- These adults are 34% more likely to read health magazines and 29% more likely to read epicurean publications compared to all adults.
- Compared to all U.S. adults, those with hypertension are 49% more likely to watch news magazine television programming and 33% more likely to watch religious programs.
- Adults with hypertension are also almost twice as likely as all adults to have Medicare.
- These adults are 21% more likely than all adults to use any form of discount savings offer when receiving or filling a prescription in the last 12 months. About 22% have used a prescription discount or savings card.
Using data from this study can help agencies and marketers understand ailment sufferers, treatment and how to best reach them. For more information about accessing full study results, contact us here.
Kantar Media’s MARS OTC/DTC Study helps agencies, marketers and media make better healthcare media and marketing decisions. It ties multimedia consumption to medical ailments, pharma brands, attitudes and opinions about healthcare and many other data points. A large sample of about 20,000 respondents provides stable and reliable information across categories and brands. Gain insights into category and product usage for 500+ OTC and Rx remedies, detailed information for 70 health conditions, including treatment options and much more.