Movie studios heat up the small screen with ads for fall films

Who’s on Top? – September 24-30, 2018

Ad spend on national TV increased 10% the week of September 24, reaching a total of $1.1 billion. NFL games accounted for 27% of all national TV ad revenue for the week, with advertisers investing $297 million running spots during games. For new advertising, NFL’s share of revenue was even higher (37%), with $62 million spent on placing new commercials during football games. Overall weekly spend for new advertising was $165 million.  

Creative Spotlight

Fall movie releases have become a strategic marketing tactic for Oscar nominee hopefuls. As we begin to move into the season, three major studios dominated the top five for new advertising this week promoting both current and upcoming films: Warner Bros. Pictures, Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox.

Warner Bros. released new advertising for three films: A Star is Born, Fantastic Beasts The Crimes Of Grindelwald and Smallfoot. The majority of spend ($3.5 million) supported the much-anticipated Oscar hopeful, A Star is Born.

VimeoId-293001029

Universal promoted six movies with new advertising: First Man, Green Book, Halloween, House With A Clock In Its Walls, Night School and Welcome To Marwen. Much like Warner Bros., Universal placed the highest share of spend ($2.5 million) with potential Oscar contender First Man. The studio also used the new prime pod ad format to help boost the film.

VimeoId-293001026

20th Century Fox rolled out new commercials for only two movies: Bad Times At The El Royale and Hate U Give, with most of the spending ($4.8 million) backing Bad Times At The El Royale.

VimeoId-293001009

This data is part of ongoing reporting we release on a weekly basis. Make sure to check back every week for the most recent data, or contact us to learn how you can discover your competitors’ breaking ads on yor own in real–time using our AdScope tool. Already an AdScope customer? Log in now and see what your competitors are up to.



Want to learn more about our fast spend reporting?

Required field

Search article