Winter Holiday Retail Advertising: 2016 trends and a look at 2017
The winter holiday season has long-been the busiest time of year for retail, typically accounting for an estimated 20% of annual sales — giving retail advertisers more than enough reason to amplify their paid media budgets in an effort to move merchandise during these high-stake months.
In this report, Kantar Media reviews the advertising trends which characterized the 2016 winter holiday period and examines the state of retailer ad spending leading into this year’s event.
Key findings of this brief include:
- Measured retail ad spend from Nov-Dec 2016 declined by 9% YoY
- Overall spend was allocated fairly evenly across the winter holiday period, but some segments took a different approach
- Among key retailers, Macy’s and JC Penney had the most aggressive sales messaging
- Retailers shifted paid search spend from keywords to Product Listing Ads
- With retail ad spend already down throughout 2017, winter holiday ad spend may fall again this year
Download this report today for important insights into how retailers are trying to make the most of the holiday season – and get the guidance you need to stand out from the clutter.